As a CAD/CAM Programmer, you’ll be responsible for creating machine programs with the use of CAD and CAM software within a fabrication or engineering firm. The main duties of a CAD/CAM Programmer include:
- Creating 2D CNC CAD programs
- Updating and maintaining material and consumable stock lists
- Preparing quotations
- Liaising with customers both over the phone and in person
- Ordering materials
- General admin tasks when required
Depending on the organisation, the seniority of the position and your level of experience, a CAD/CAM Programmer may expect to earn between £20,000 to £38,000 per annum.
Required Skills & Experience
To become a CAD/CAM Programmer you will be required to be fully competent in using CAD/CAM software, with previous work experience of using the software in a similar role.
For more senior positions, an employer may require you to have at least 4 years’ previous experience.
Other skills and experience that an employer may require of a CAD/CAM Programmer include:
- Experience working in a similar organisation, for example within 2D CNC cutting or sheet metal fabrication
- Ability to understand technical drawings and draw or develop flat pattern components
- Previous experience with specific software packages such as TruTops or Flow
- Excellent organisational, numeracy and computer literacy skills
- The ability to read and interpret technical drawings
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
XCL are experts at helping skilled CAD/CAM Programmers find their ideal jobs within some of the UK’s leading fabrication firms. We’ll get to know your skills, experience and aspirations to identify the job vacancies, and employers, that are best suited to you and your career goals.