Description and Responsibilities
As a Stores Person (sometimes referred to as a Stock Controller), your main responsibility will be to take deliveries and manage stock levels.
The exact role of a Stores Person will differ depending on the needs of the organisation and the items they keep in stock, but some common duties of the role are to:
- Be responsible for receiving and checking all deliveries
- Ensure all stock is stored in the correct manner
- Liaise with suppliers and handle queries relating to delivery and stock discrepancies
- Keep a record of and report any frequent shortages or spare items
- Keep inventory management systems up to date
- Carry out regular stock takes
- Pick and deliver products using a forklift
- Organise and deliver goods from the stores to the relevant departments as required
The salary for a Stores Person can vary depending on the organisation and the location you work in, but typically you may earn between £16,000 and £22,000 per annum.
Required Skills and Experience
There are no set qualifications required to become a Stores Person, however, some of the common skills and experience that an employer may look for are:
- IT skills, with confidence using Microsoft Office and inventory management systems
- Forklift / counterbalance licence
- Experience working in a similar inventory or stock control role
- Excellent organisational skills
- If working in a specialist organisation, a good knowledge of the products they keep in stock could be required (for example, if working in an electrical store, you may be required to have a good working knowledge of electrical equipment)
XCL are experts at helping experienced Stores People find new roles in busy warehouses and depots. If you’re looking for your next job, send a copy of your CV to email@example.com to find out about our current store vacancies.