Description and Responsibilities
As a Structural Engineer, you will be responsible for analysing and advising on the configuration of components of a building’s structure.
While your specific duties may vary based on the company’s specialisms and the individual project, some common duties of the role are to:
- Calculate the pressures, stresses and strains that each component, such as a beam or lintel, will experience from other parts of the structure due to human use or environmental pressures
- Consider the strength of different materials, such as timber, concrete, steel and masonry, to assess how their use may impact structural design
- Liaise with architects to agree on safe designs that fit within the aesthetic concept of the property
- Examine structures at risk of collapse and advise on how to improve their structural integrity
- Produce drawings, specifications and computer models of structures for building contractors
- Work with geotechnical engineers to investigate ground conditions and analyse results of soil sample and in situ tests
- Liaise with construction contractors to ensure that newly erected buildings are structurally sound
Dependent on the seniority of the position and your level of experience, a Structural Engineer may expect to earn between £28,000 and £38,000 per annum.
Required Experience and Qualifications
The exact requirements for a job as a Structural Engineer will vary depending on the individual role, but some of the common skills and experience that an employer may look for are:
- A degree level qualification or higher in Structural Engineering
- Previous experience working in structural engineering
- Experience of structural analysis design and analysis software
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent report writing, communication and numerical skills
- Ability to produce and interpret drawings and diagrams
- Exceptional attention to detail
XCL are experts at helping skilled Structural Engineers find new jobs with some of the UK’s leading construction and structural steelwork firms. We’ll get to know you, your skills and experience to make sure we identify the roles that are the most suitable for you.
If you’re looking for a new job, send a copy of your CV to email@example.com, or apply for one of our current Structural Engineer vacancies here: